четверг, 22 сентября 2016 г.

Sweet Pickle Relish

Sweet Pickle Relish – canned and ready to use at any time.


Sweet Pickle Relish – canned and ready to use at any time.


There are many Zucchini sweet relish recipes that are also very good. [If you don’t have cucs]


Please add how many pints this makes to the recipe, so I can get the jars.


I got 4 pints. However, that was with a general guesstimation on the amount of cukes. I cut up, I think, 5 large overgrown cucumbers.


I’d love an answer to that, as well, please!!


I got ahead of myself when slicing the cucs. I didn’t slice them length wise but in chips. They are too over ripe to pickle like usual. So my Q is, can I leave the seeds( or at least some of them) for this recipe?


Hi Laura I would try to take out some seeds but don’t drive yourself crazy over it – It may change the texture a little, but the recipe should still turn out. Good luck!


I used pickling spice in cucumber and onion mixture. Do I still need to add salt?


How about using sea salt and raw apple cider vinegar?


I’d love an answer to that, as well. Did you receive one, or try it?


I HAVE LOOKED MOST OF THIS WEEK FOR A RECIPE FOR A JALAPENO SWEET RELISH SO I HAVE FINALLY DECIDED TO JUST TRY YOUR SWEET LOOKING RELISH AND ADD JALAPENOS TO THAT RECIPE UNLESS YOU HAVE A BETTER IDEA? I’M JUST GETTING STARTED SO ANY HELP OR IDEAS OF WHAT I SHOULD DO OR NOT PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I HAVE ALREADY MADE JALAPENO JELLY WHICH IS GREAT AND I HAVE ADDED THEM TO MY STEWED TOMATOES BUT I STILL HAVE MANY LEFT SO I DECIDED TO MAKE A SWEET JALAPENO RELISH BUT I CAN NOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME FIND A RECIPE. HELP! PLEASE! VICKIE


Hi Vickie – we do have a cowboy candy relish made with just jalapenos that is really tasty and a family favorite.


Hoe you like it!


You can find the recipe here : http://oldworldgardenfarms.com/2013/08/23/candied-jalapeno-recipe-a-great-use-for-all-of-those-jalapenos/


Want to say that this is the all time best pickle relish recipe ever. People that claim they do not like relish, always love this homemade one. Homemade is best always. Thanks love your site.


Thank you so much Winnie!!!!


Thanks for sharing your Sweet Pickle Relish recipe.


I looked thru 12 cook books trying to find the recipe, my deceased sister


had used for years, to make sweet Relish she always share with us.


Within 2 minutes I found yours, that sounds like the one she used.


I will be making it in the mornin


So glad we could help!


Made this today following exact directions. It is so good! I got seven 8 oz jars and one 4 oz jar. I used large cukes because the pickoing cucumbers were yellow and bloated (thanks for the explanation on the right cucumbers). Will definitely make again.


So glad you liked it! Sounds like a big harvest!


Delicious! Love the turmeric. We have onion and garlic issues in our family, so I changed the onion for green peppers. Awesome!


Thanks! Glad you like it!


Do you have a dill relish recipe?


Approx how many jars does this recipe make?


I am giving this a whirl right now… never made relish but my dad was what joke about “an irresponsible gardener” and didn’t pick his cukes for a few days and well, 3 of them are close to the 4 pound mark… I’m good with pickles now so making this for my parents and gifts will be fun! Thank you!


Tried this for the first time. Although we don’t eat a lot of relish I am making multiple batches for gifts. Smells delicious!


I have discovered three eleven inch cukes in my crowded garden, so I will try your relish. I didn’t know what else to do with such large cukes.


Second year using this recipe. Love it. We use so much relish that I double the recipe and can in quart jars. Doubling this recipe makes 4 quarts. I also add a few drops of green food coloring to it. Makes it look nicer. A little trick I learned from grandma. She adds to some of her pickles. It’s easy and great taste..never will I go back to store bought relish.


So glad you like it!!!


Did the straw bale planters help deter cucumber beetles? Thanks.


are there any relish recipes without onions?


10 cucumbers 4 pounds doing recipe tastes great but had 3 pints ? WHY


So easy! Thank you! Do you have one for Dill Pickle relish?


Yes 3 pints is the correct yield. I had a bit more than that so about 7 cups


For anyone who has made this… is it sweet enough? It has about 1/4 of the sugar of some of the others. I don’t like it too bitter or sour.


About how many slicing cucumbers would you use for this? (Also, it’s okay to use then for relish, right? ) we have about 20 on our counter and at least twice as many more growing in the garden, lol. Looking for options other than to eat them fresh


Just made this! My first time and it smells so good. Getting ready to can it now. Cannot wait to eat it! Thanks for the recipe!


Just made the relish–exactly enough to fill 7- 1/2 pt jars, so none to sample. I was amazed that I poured off 2 cups of water after the 2 hr salt bath. I found my grapefruit spoon perfect for scooping out the seeds. I’m excited to try this, but will wait and let it “cure” for while. Thanks for the recipe.


Sounds good – you will have to let us know how it tastes once you open up!


Yummy! I love relish. Can’t wait to try it.


You will have to let us know how it turns out!


I have tried this recipe and it’s great!!


That’s great Stacy – good to hear!


I absolutely LOVE Pickle Relish! I am going to save this in my Pinterest Recipe file…one day when my cucumber plants finally start producing I am going to make me some relish! Thanks for sharing!!


You will have to let us know how it turns out!


Do you know approx. how many pints I can expect from this recipe? Sounds terrific – my cukes aren’t anywhere ready, but when they are I have the recipe!! Thanks – Blessings, Terri/North Dakota


I got 7–1/2 pt jars, so total of 7 cups of relish. That should last me a year.


We had anywhere from 6 to 8 pints – good luck when you go to make!


This actually looks like so much LESS sugar than I have seen in other recipes – looking forward to trying it out!


That is one of the reasons we really like the recipe! Good luck on yours and let us know how it turns out!


AWESOME… I was just at the Amish market and looking at their pickling cucumbers and told my husband I wanted to make sweet relish and would go home and look up a recipe. All the ones in the stores have HFC and I won’t buy them. Looking forward to making this.


Thanks Janet – sounds like it was perfect timing! Good luck!


Opened my first jar, of sweet relish using your recipe, this weekend. EXCELLENT. I’m hoping I have enough cucumbers to make some more. The vines are looks very sad….


Sweet Pickle Relish – canned and ready to use at any time.


Summer has officially begun. Not because June 21st has come and gone, but because we have picked our first cucumbers from the garden. This year we planted our cucumber plants in straw bale crates and they are thriving. And, just in time!


With Independence Day just a few days away, most Americans will be celebrating with family and friends with cook outs and traditional picnics. Of course, that means hot dogs, hamburgers, deviled eggs and potato salad that needs to be made. And that means relish will be needed. What better way to start your summer off than to make your own relish that you can use throughout the summer. Plus, it never hurts to can some extra for use during the winter holidays as well!


Pickling cucumbers have been picked from the garden and ready to be used.


INGREDIENTS:


3 pounds Pickling Cucumbers or 4 pounds of Large Cucumbers


1 Large Sweet Onion


¼ cup Pickling or Kosher Salt


3 cups White Vinegar


¾ cup Sugar


4 cloves Garlic, Minced


2 teaspoons Dill Seed


2 teaspoons Mustard Seed


2 teaspoons Celery Seed


½ teaspoon Turmeric


**note – I have tried to use sugar substitutes and it negatively affects the overall taste of the recipe. Instead, I use raw sugar cane to avoid refined white sugar without sacrificing the taste.


After slicing the cucumber, remove the seeds then dice finely or place in the food processor


INSTRUCTIONS:


1. Slice the cucumber lengthwise and remove the seeds with a spoon. Discard the seeds.


2. Finely dice the cucumber and onion. **I use my food processor, being careful not to process too long.


3. Place diced cucumbers and onions in a non-reactive pot and add the salt. Stir and let sit for 2 hours.


After soaking in pickling salt, drain the liquid from the cucumbers using a strainer


4. Drain cucumber and onion mixture in a strainer until all the liquid is removed. You may have to press the mixture against the strainer to remove hidden moisture.


5. In a medium pot add vinegar, sugar, garlic, dill, celery, and mustard seed, and tumeric. Bring to a boil.


6. Add cucumber and onion mixture and return to a boil.


Simmer relish for 10 minutes – then water bath for an additional 10 minutes.


7. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes.


8. Remove from heat.


9. Cool and store in refrigerator for up to a month or process in water bath for 10 minutes.


Enjoy!


Mary and Jim


**If you would like to receive our Recipe Of The Week each Friday – be sure to sign up to follow the blog via email in the right had column, “like” us on the Facebook, or follow us on Twitter.


Original article and pictures take http://oldworldgardenfarms.com/2013/06/28/sweet-pickle-relish-recipe-quick-and-easy-to-eat-fresh-or-canned site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий