вторник, 20 сентября 2016 г.

Sweet and Spicy Canned Onion Marmalade

Sweet and Spicy Canned Onion Marmalade


Sweet and Spicy Canned Onion Marmalade


Oh yum! I bet this would be really good on some crusty bread for sandwiches too.


Hi Jamie: We have been looking for a Balsamic Vinegar Sweet Onion somethin’, somethin’ to can, mostly because we love Walla-Walla sweet onions and balsamic vinegar. Do you think we could substitute the 1/2 cup of cidar vinegar with balsamic? Or, do you think that might be too much balsamic? Your opinion counts more than mine based on your experience.


Thanks for your great posts and ideas!


Oh, that might be really good, Franny! I’d maybe start with a half-batch and add just 1/4 c. balsamic with 1/4 c. cider vinegar and see how you like it. If you think it would be good with the whole 1/2 c. as balsamic, you can make more with that. It really depends on the type of balsamic – the ‘regular’ kind you find in most stores or the sweeter, syrupy aged balsamic from specialty stores. The aged balsamic I’d go really easy with – a few tablespoons to 1/4 c. max.


Please let me know how this turns out if you try it – I’d love to experiment, too!


I just made this and now I have cream cheese on my grocery list for tomorrow. It’s so good, I could probably eat it all by itself.


I have been know to eat it from the spoon a time or two, Angi


Do you know if I can use Balls classic pectin for this with more sugar?


I haven’t tried that, Viv, so you’d have to experiment.


Made this a couple of days ago and people are LOVING it! Of course, to me a recipe is a starting point. Instead of 1 c of apple juice I used 1/2 c juice +1/2 c cold brewed coffee. Played w/vinegar (1/2 ac vinegar, 1/2 balsamic), used maybe 1/2 c honey and because I saw a recipe on the internet which used bacon, I added some cooked beef bacon-everything else I did as written. I don’t think you can do ‘wrong’ with this recipe. It is a keeper!


Wow, those additions sound interesting – glad you liked it, Mick!


a note on adding bacon (or any meat) to a canning recipe – it changes the acidity significantly enough that you should pressure can it instead of boiling water bath… and for 85 minutes instead of 10. perhaps stick to the fridge instead of depending on shelf stability. have to say my mouth is watering thinking about it though…


have to give you a shout out for that jar, pictured on the top of your onion marmalade pyramid! did you find it new? i have two of these from my grandmother’s basement and three tall ones from my mom’s basement, when they each gave up canning… i love them but haven’t found them Ever in stores (or the interwebs, for that matter). i absolutely love using jars that have history in them! i stubbled over here looking for a canned pizza sauce recipe and find myself drooling over many of your recipes…


Welcome, Carrie – so glad you are finding recipes you like! I didn’t think that jar was a vintage one – it looks a lot like the little decorative 1/2 pint jars they still sell. I’ll have to take a closer look at it. I love old jars, too!


Any thoughts on using all sugar? I would love to try this recipe, I’m just not crazy about honey…


You can use all sugar, Christy – I’m just recently trying to use as much natural sweeteners as I can in recipes.


Would I be able to half the recipe….. and is there anything different that I have to do if I am not canning it?


thanks,


You can just keep this in the fridge – no need to do anything different except skip the canning steps. I haven’t tried making only half, so I don’t know if you’d run into problems with setting up, but since it’s using the flex-batch pectin, it may work without a problem.


Dear Jami, I want to try this recipe for sweet onion marmalade but i have a question about the No Sugar Needed pectin, im not sure what you mean by “flex batch”? I use Bernardin No Sugar needed pectin when making my sugar reduced or sugar free jams, would that be the same thing that you use, I don’t want to make a mistake and ruin it! Thank you for any info Barb


Use whatever low-no sugar pectin you have, Barb – I haven’t heard of the Bernardin brand (are you in a different part of the country or different country altogether?). The “flex batch” is made by Ball and it comes in a container that you can use some or all of, depending on the amount you’re making instead of the boxes that make one amount. But it doesn’t matter – use what you have, but maybe use their directions on amount?


Thank you for answering my question. Yes I live in Ontario Canada and we have access to 2 types of pectin but only one is sugar free and it comes in a small box the size needed for a batch of jam or jelly. Im hoping that I can get the amount right for the marmalade because i would hate to mess it up so that it isnt edible!!! LOL My grandaughter is getting married and has asked me to make some small samples of jams {a sweet and a savory} as a gift for the guests and Im hoping I can use this onion marmalade as part of that so I really want it to work!! Thank you again for your help. Barb


The amount I used equals 1 box of pectin, so your options should work, Barb. That sounds like a labor of love on your part – what a wonderful memory your granddaughter will have.


I just made this with the yellow box of Sure-jell. After I added the pectin, and cooked for 1 min. , should it start to thicken up? Mine didn’t. Looks watery. What went wrong. I used sweet onions Alisha Craig, that are pretty sweet and juicy. I even cooked the pectin for longer than one minute, about 1-1/2 min. Tastes great.


I’m not sure what type of pectin the yellow box of Sure-Jell is, Geri. I would just keep cooking it until it thickens some. Sorry you’re having trouble!


Bernardin http://www.bernardin.ca/ is the Canadian division of http://www.jardenhomebrands.com/ which also owns Ball and Kerr


While they list their products in metric, I suspect the jars are the same capacity and lid/ring size as Ball and the pectins would be of the same quality as Ball.


Couldn’t wait to make this today and was not disappointed. I cut the honey to 3/4 cup and happy with the level of sweetness. Mine did not thicken during the cooking process so added more pectine. It thickened when it cooled. Will definitely make again.


Thank you for letting us know how it worked with even less honey, Charlotte – glad you liked it!


This is my first time working with pectin! I’m new to canning When should the marmalade be firming up? When I ladled it into the jars it was still pretty runny. How would I go about adding more pectin and recanning if I need to?


It should firm up for you after canning and sitting for a bit. I’m not sure how you’d go about recanning – I haven’t done that. I tend to just use things more runny if they don’t set for me – sometimes it’s hard to know with canning.


Jami, would you adjust the time for pints? So excited to try this, it looks delish!


I am so pleased with this recipe, and I wanted to come back to say “thank you”. I love honey, but didn’t have enough, so I resorted to sugar. I used the same ratio of honey to sugar. I used Ball pectin (6 tablespoons) and I had to let mine simmer for about six minutes. I did the frozen plate test, and the jam set up beautifully. It’s now in my Ball Auto Canner, for 35 minutes. I got 4 pints and and extra half pint that I will use in a meatloaf glaze recipe that I saw. I love my Sweet Red Pepper Jelly, and this recipe is similar to it. It’s a great balance of sweet, tart and heat (I used a scant 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes). This recipe will be a keeper. I can definitely see this on crostini with cream cheese. I look forward to serving this! Thanks again.


Wonderful to hear! Thanks for letting us know.


I too, an new to making jam. My first batch was so wonderful, that I decided to double the recipe. Not good. It was so runny and did not set for 2 reasons: 1. I used regular pectin, not low sugar, and 2. doubling the recipe. So… to the internet to see if I could fix it. Pour the jam into your widest pot. Set heat to high and begin to bring the jam to temperature. Whisk in one tablespoon of powdered pectin as it heats. Cook vigorously until the jam appears visibly thickened. I used the plate test (frozen plate, drop jam, see if it sets). Water bath canning both batches seems to have worked!


Thanks, Jamie! (You may not remember me, but I used to see both you and Brian at Lake Oswego Dental Center in the late 90’s and early 2000’s. So wonderful to see you, Brian and the kids!)


How fun – of course we remember you Hannah!! You still remain our top dental hygienist ever.


Thanks for this info – this is really helpful to the people who’ve had a hard time with it jelling. I’m glad you liked it!


Hi there love this but in south Africa we do not have canners.


What can I do to bottle in the normal way and keep in my cupboard with the rest of my preserves


Thanks bernadette


You can use any large pot to water-bath can, Bernadette – just make sure it has some kind of rack/trivet on the bottom that the jars can rest on and then follow the directions for canning. There’s no other way to safely store at room temperature!


I’ve been making this sweet and spicy onion marmalade off and on for years, ever since seeing the original version in Jan Roberts-Dominguez’s food preservation column in The Oregonian newspaper years ago when I first started canning. I love sweet onions and was looking for a way to preserve them through the winter. This sweet and spicy onion marmalade goes way beyond that, though, adding flavor to meats, seafood, and appetizers. I used to think of this as an addictive condiment until I started making Addictive Tomato Chutney, a-hem, but this runs a close second. Maybe I should call it “slightly addictive onion marmalade?”


Well, whatever I call it, it’s really just plain good. I’ve adapted it through the years to use honey instead of white sugar (and a lot less of it) and lots more red pepper flakes for added spice, though of course you can adjust that if you don’t like things as spicy as we do. This is only slightly spicy with the one teaspoon of red pepper flakes, though – not too spicy at all for most people who’ve had it.


Even though it’s a canning recipe, you don’t actually have to can it – it will keep a couple months in the refrigerator. Although it’s really easy to can, too – its just a matter of a few simple steps:


prepping ingredients and adding them to a pot


boiling and adding the honey/sugar


boiling again for a minute


ladling marmalade into hot, prepared canning jars


sealing and adding them to a boiling water canner


boiling for 10 minutes


removing from canner and cooling


So in less than an hour, you can have six small jars of delicious sweet and spicy onion marmalade lining your pantry shelves – or to give away as special gifts.


This marmalade makes a wonderful glaze for meats and seafood, and is particularly good on a roasted ham. But one of my favorite was to serve this is as a simple appetizer on top of cream cheese or a flavored Boursin cheese. It’s really good. And I love serving different things on a platter for guests than what you can find in stores – it sorta personalizes it and helps it seem more special. I hope you enjoy it, too!


Note: if you need more info on how to can, you can read Boiling Water Canning Steps here.


Canned* sweet & spicy onion marmalade is perfect for meat glazes, toppings and great for appetizer plates.


2 lbs. onions, preferably sweet or a mix of sweet and regular


1 c. apple juice


2 tsp. fresh, minced garlic


¼ tsp. ground mustard


1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes


3 Tb. Low or No Sugar Needed pectin - flex batch (equals 1 box)


½ tsp. butter or oil (optional to reduce foaming, but I always use it)


Prepare waterbath canner, 6½-pint jars & lids, keeping warm until needed.


Cut ends off onions and peel; slice in half and cut each in half again, lengthwise (or in thirds if onions are big). Turn halves and cut into ¼\" slices widthwise (as pictured above). Place slices in an 8-qt. measuring cup - you should have 6 cups of onion slices.


Add prepared onions, apple juice, vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper, mustard and red pepper flakes to an 8-qt. stockpot. Gradually stir in pectin and then add butter if using. Bring to a boil that can't be stirred down over high heat, stirring constantly.


Add honey and sugar; return to a full boil and let boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat (skim foam if needed).


Ladle hot marmalade into prepared ½-pint jars one at a time, leaving ¼-inch headspace. Wipe rims, attach lids, and place in canner.


Place lid on canner and bring to a gentle, steady boil - process for 10 minutes, maintaining steady boil the entire time. Turn off heat, and remove jars to a towel-lined surface to cool for 24 hours without disturbing. Check lids for seal before labeling and storing in a cool, dark place (with rings removed).


*You don't have to can this - it will keep for 2-3 months in the refrigerator.


Serving suggestions:


-Use as a glaze for meats like chicken, ham and pork, as well as seafood (my favorite is shrimp).


-Top grilled steak, pork, chicken and seafood.


-Add on top of Boursin cheese or cream cheese as an appetizer.


-Mix into sour cream as a dip for crackers, pretzels, or chips.


Original article and pictures take http://www.anoregoncottage.com/sweet-spicy-canned-onion-marmalade site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий