пятница, 9 сентября 2016 г.

Spiced Plum Jam Canning Recipe

Spiced Plum Jam Canning Recipe


Spiced Plum Jam Canning Recipe


I love this jam, it seriously tastes like Christmas in a jar!


I’m personally not a fan of savory type plum sauces as I don’t eat plum sauce with meat or thai food. But a spicy sweet jam? Oh lovely!


Sometimes I omit the pectin in jam recipes and just make a ‘sauce’ as I use our home-canned sauces more for baking sweet breads or in crepes (plus it reduces cost from the pectin). But if you want a jam definitely keep the pectin in there.


I’ve only made this with purple plums, I’m not sure how it would turn out with yellow plums. I also often double or triple the batch, and use 250ml jars (1/2 pint) instead of the 500ml (1 pint) as I find it’s better for gift giving.


If you’re new to canning I highly recommend you read up on the home canning safety processes before using this recipe. Here’s a list of resources for you:


Recipe


Ingredients


8 cups of pitted & finely chopped purple plums (about 4 lbs)


3 1/2 cups/700g granulated sugar


Zest and juice of 1 lemon or 3 Tbsp of lemon juice


2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon


1/2 teaspoon nutmeg


1/4 teaspoon ground cloves


2 (3oz) packets of liquid pectin ( I use Pomona’s pectin)


Instructions


Prepare water bath canner and get the jars & lids ready.


Combine the plums & sugar in a large pot. Cook on medium heat allowing plum juices to release. Slowly bring to a boil and add lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.


Let the sauce cook over med-high heat for 15-20 mins stirring frequently until it looks syrupy.


Add the pectin and bring to a strong boil for 5 mins until it’s thick and shiny. (be sure to read your pectin instructions as they differ in method).


Remove the pot from the heat & ladle the jam into the prepared jars. Wipe the rims, apply the lids & rings and process in a boiling water bath canner for 10 mins (adjust the time with altitude).


Notes


I often use a hand blender to chop up the plums after they’ve boiled down for a few mins and gotten soft (after removing the stem & pit). I also often omit the pectin entirely to make a ‘spicy plum sauce’ instead of a jam as I find it has more uses (like in baked sweet breads, on top of pancakes or inside crepes). I prefer canning them in 250ml jars (1/2pint) sizes instead of 500ml (1 pint) as they’re better for gift giving.


Adapted from Food in Jars


I hope you enjoyed this recipe! I also made a plum jam with vanilla, using about 3-4 tbsp of single bourbon vanilla instead of the spice mix listed above.


Happy home-preserving everyone!


Original article and pictures take http://www.familyfoodgarden.com/spiced-plum-jam-canning-recipe site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий