пятница, 4 марта 2016 г.

Dilly Green Beans

Dilly Green Beans


Dilly Green Beans


Roxanne, you know where to find the recipe when your beans are ready!


These sound so good. I’ve never been a big fan of canning green beans and usually just blanch and freeze them, but this is going to get tested out in my kitchen this year.


Mike, I don’t can green beans, either, because of the low-acid factor. I really like this way of preserving them and have had better luck with these than regular pickles.


Oh those look gorgeous. And with the garlic and dill – yummy. I love green beans.


I’ve never had these – they sound really good. When we get an excess here in late summer I’ll try it.


I am making these now. I was wondering if you know how long they keep in the refrigerator? We are down to a household of 3 and I know I’ll love them, just not sure about the other 2.


Because of the vinegar content, they’ll keep pretty indefinitely. Kind of like dill pickles. (Let us know how they turn out!)


I’ve done this using Sandor Katz’s recipe, which looks the same. they’re very good. got here from simple lives thursday.


What a nice recipe! How long will these stay good to eat?


Because of the vinegar content, they’ll keep pretty indefinitely. Kind of like dill pickles. (Let us know how they turn out!)


I am on the autoimmune protocol, specifically to try to re-set my insulin resistance problem. With that protocol, no sugar! Have any advice about using this recipe with an alternate sweetener, like stevia? Would that work?


If it were me, I’d try it without the sugar at all.


Can I raw pack the beans (without blanching) and pour the boiling brine over my beans in their jars? I have a batch made and all the tops sealed…I wanted them crunchier:)


I’ve tried this, but they ended up really tough.


On one of those days when my harvest didn’t quite match up with my dinner plans, I found myself with more green beans than I’d be able to use fresh, so I decided to preserve some. I’ve not had much luck in the past with crispy cucumber pickles, but these dilly green beans maintain a nice snap. These don’t need to be processed – just keep them in the refrigerator. It took me about half an hour to put these up – faster, even, than a trip to the grocery store!


We like these as much as dill pickles, if not more!


Dilly Green Beans


Make 2-3 pints


These dilly green beans maintain a nice crunch, and will keep for months (and months) in the refrigerator. They're a breeze to make, too. Preserve the garden harvest!


3 pounds of green beans


2 tablespoons dried dill weed (or 1 cup chopped fresh dill if you have it)


4 cloves garlic, sliced


2 cups water


2 cups white vinegar


2 tablespoons salt


4 teaspoons sugar


1 teaspoon red pepper flakes


Wash and trim the ends from beans. Cook the beans in boiling water for 8-10 minutes, until crisp but tender. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water to halt the cooking process. Pack beans into glass jars, snug but not too snug (you’ll fill 2-3 pint jars, depending on how tightly you pack the beans). Divide the dill and garlic between the jars. Bring the remaining ingredients to a boil. Pour liquid over the beans, using a butter knife to release any air bubbles. Make sure beans are completely submerged, secure the lid, and refrigerate for at least a week before serving.


My recipe is adapted from one found in this book


Original article and pictures take http://www.attainable-sustainable.net/dilly-green-beans site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий